Re: C-130s and other military aircraft

Date:         01 Mar 97 18:42:15
From:         "P. Wezeman" <pwezeman@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu>

On 13 Feb 1997, rhett wrote:

> To my knowledge, the C-141 is not in civil use except for a couple that
> NASA use.

   I seem to recall that Lockheed had some hopes of selling civilian
Starlifters but that was many years ago and the plane is obsolete now.
They were also hoping to sell C-5 Galaxies. There was some merit to the
idea, since the similar Antonev An-124 is in civilian use for hauling
outsize loads, but they have the advantage that the planes were paid for
by the old Soviet Union, and would otherwise be sitting around doing
nothing, what with the downsizing of the Russian military.

                        Peter Wezeman, anti-social Darwinist

                             "Carpe Cyprinidae"