Re: Question: Vertical speed on landing?

Date:         01 Mar 97 18:42:14
From:         "Brian A. Reynolds" <bareynol@cca.rockwell.com>

Kim Hackett wrote:

> >Can somebody please tell me what is the vertical landing speed
> >limit for a B737 or B757 at MaxLandWeight (prior to any structural
> damage)?
>
> For certification to FAR Part 25, I think the landing gear must pass a
> limit drop test at 10 ft/second at its maximum landing weight and
> 6 ft/sec at the maximum takeoff weight.  Reserve energy gear drop testing
> is required at a higher sink rate, but I don't remember what it is.

FAR 25.723(b)
The landing gear may not fail in a test, demonstrating its reserve
engergy absorption capacity, simulated a descent velocity of 12 fps at
design landing weight, assuming airplane life not greater then the
airplane weight acting during the landing impact.

I didn't see any reference to max takeoff weight.