Re: Boeing cancels 747-500X/600X?

Date:         01 Mar 97 18:42:13
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

Terry Schell <tschell@s.psych.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>I guess what I am saying is that I don't buy the "reducing congestion"
>argument for the next generation super-jumbo.  If there were intense
>congestion problems we would be seeing pressure to replace the smaller
>planes with bigger ones... but the current trend in most markets is
>the opposite.

In Europe and in the US, airlines are not using bigger planes to replace
smaller ones.  This is not true in East/Southeast Asia.  Malaysia (MH)
and Thai (TG) replaced some of their A300s with A330s.  In fact, for
MH, they dumped their whole A300 fleet after they have taken deliveries
of the A330.  That's at least 20-30% increase in capacity.  Singapore will
replace some of its A310s with the B777; and that's about 40-50% increase
in capacity.  I would say the majority of the A330 orders and some of the
B777 orders made by East Asian airlines are for replacing smaller planes
(e.g., Philippine, Korean, Cathay, etc.)