Re: 737 question

Date:         01 Mar 97 02:45:00
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>The people from Honolulu boarded a United 737 for a five hour trip
>to BC.  How plausible would it be for the 737 to make this hop?

United has several models of 737, of which the 737-500 has the longest
range.  According to Boeing,

    Maximum takeoff weights of the 737-500 range from 115,500 pounds
    (52,390 kg) for the basic offering up to 133,500 pounds (60,550 kg)
    for the high-gross-weight version. When equipped with auxiliary fuel
    tanks, the latter model will be capable of carrying 108 passengers on
    nonstop flights up to 3,190 statute miles (5,140 km).

HNL-YVR is 2,705 statute miles, so technically it's possible.  However,
United's 737-500s are intermediate weight versions (122,500 lbs MGTOW)
and do not, to my knowledge, have auxiliary fuel tanks.

Beyond that, United's 737s have ETOPS rating at all, and I've never
heard of any 737 having the 180-minute ETOPS rating required to fly
from Hawaii to North America on anything other than a ferry move.

I'd say the scenario in the book is implausible at best.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com