Re: Boeing cancels 747-500X/600X?

Date:         01 Mar 97 02:44:59
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>QNd why not Singapore, Cathay, Chinese airlines, Japanese airlines,
>British airways, Thai, MAS, ANZ, Quantas and more for combi
>configuration.

Because none of those airlines are controlled by governments which
also control (or have substantial influence over) primary partners
in the A3XX.  He didn't say that those three were the *only* three
customers, just that they were shoe-ins, whether the need the A3XX
or not.

However, some in your list don't clearly have a need for the A3XX.
Qantas and Air New Zealand strike me as prime examples of Boeing's
finding that most 747 customers bought the plane for its range, not
capacity.  I don't have hard data to back that up, but I'm not aware
of any markets where either has a need for a dramatic increase in
capacity.

Cathay wants large planes today, since their home airport, Kai Tak,
is so constrained, but that problem will go away next year with the
opening of Chek Lap Kok.  I'm not sure Cathay will still have a huge
need for huge planes at that point, especially with the range to
overfly Japan.  Perhaps that's why Cathay has been busily buying 777s
and A340s.  (With A330s for shorter markets.)

>And FEDEX, UPS, DHL for freighter one

FedEx doesn't even like 747s, and DHL has nothing bigger than a DC-8.
The A3XX's double deck arrangement isn't well suited for freighters,
either.  Why in the world would you think those carriers would be
likely A3XX customers?!

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com