Re: Old DC-10 attitude problem...

Date:         01 Mar 97 02:44:58
From:         shafer@ferhino.dfrc.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer)

On 19 Feb 97 02:46:22 , rparpatt@uniserve.com (Thundercraft) said:

T> In article <airliners.1997.429@ohare.Chicago.COM>, brock@dircon.co.uk says...
>
>In the original DC-10's, was there something wrong with their flying
>attitude?  I heard the backs had to be fitted as piano bars as
>passengers in the last few rows became sick on flights.  Thank you.

T> I believe that was for marketing considerations.  I believe that
T> United also originally fitted the 747's with bars in the back when
T> they first put them into service.  Canadian Airlines stuffed (and
T> still do) every seat that they could (keeping with their seat/pitch
T> policies).

The DC-10 bars were at the back of First Class, not the back of the
plane, and they were a response to the piano bars in the upstairs
portion of the 747s.  Yes, when 747s first came out there were no
revenue seats on the upper deck.  Folks from First Class could wander
up there, relax on the couches, play cards at the tables, drink, and
listen to piano music.  I don't think Business Class had been invented
yet, either.  Nor had frequent flier programs and upgrades.  The
people up in the front of the plane were paying a lot to be there.  On
the other hand, it was easier to get comped into First Class then.
Since my husband is in a wheelchair, we used to get comped quite
often.  Not anymore, though, as all the empty seats are taken by
frequently-flying upgraders.

Those were the days!  Ice cream sundae bars on United DC-10s in First
Class, too, as I recall.

The 747 does have an unpleasant ride in the very back if the ride
smoothing is turned off, but it's pretty nice otherwise.  We went
around the world (Pan Am flt 1) in 1979 or so, sitting in the
next-to-last row in the plane.  Even with the turbulence in the
tropics, the ride was quite comfortable.  The body bending modes were
pretty easy to see; looking up the aisle it was possible to see the
fuselage flexing.

--
Mary Shafer               NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA
SR-71 Flying Qualities Lead Engineer     Of course I don't speak for NASA