Re: Questions about Regional Jets

Date:         01 Mar 97 02:44:57
From:         Jean-Francois Mezei <"[nospam]jfmezei"@videotron.ca>

P. Wezeman wrote:
>    The article also said that the new Canadian regional jet has "ample
> legroom". Do they mean ample legroom in comparison to a typical small
> turboprop airliner or in comparison to a jetliner?

The amount of legroom is decided by the airline. However, one could
contend that if you replace a 30 seater turbo-prop with a regional jet
only to replace the propellers with a jet engine, then you can put in
only 30 seats inside a cabin capable of holding 50 seats, hence greater
legroom. In practice, most airlines will configure the interior to fit
as many people as is acceptable.

Personally, the inside of a CRJ is not all that different from that of a
DASH-8 or ATR airplane from what my memory cells tell me. But compared
to a Shorts-360 or a Saab 340, there is a big difference.