Re: Questions about Regional Jets

Date:         01 Mar 97 02:44:57
From:         roger@concord-world-travel.co.uk (Roger Chung-Wee)

On 19 Feb 97 02:46:23 , "P. Wezeman" <pwezeman@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu>
wrote:

>   This last week, the Wall Street Journal had an article about regional
>jets and the upcoming American Airlines strike. One interesting thing they
>mentioned was what the airlines call "turboprop aversion factor".
>According to airline people, passengers really dislike turboprop aircraft
>and the mere action of replacing a turboprop with a jet on a given route
>will increase passenger load by an average of twenty per cent.

One thing that is certain is that the business traveller really
prefers jets to turboprops.  I'm not sure why, but the main reason
could be that most business travellers are accustomed to jets and look
with some suspicion on a turboprop which some would view as less
advanced/noisier/less safe than jets.

The leisure passenger, on the other hand, might fly only once a year
and is less likely to be so fussy (being more concerned about price
than anything else).
--
Roger Chung-Wee
Member, UK Chapter of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation.