Re: BA 146

Date:         01 Mar 97 02:44:57
From:         Alan Sanderson 408 447-3859 <alans@hpax.cup.hp.com>

William L. Thomas wrote:

> I used to see many of the STOL BA 146(?)flying throughout the US. The
> last few years they seem to have disappeared. Where did they go and
> what was the cause of their demise?

Some of the carriers reported high maintenance expenses as the 146's
aged.  They were popular for the west coast shuttles, and continued
to be used for certain airports where noise was a problem.

They have mostly been replaced with MD-80's and 737's.  Reno Air
operates their MD-90's as the "Orange County Flyer" on the San Jose to
John Wayne (SJC-SNA) shuttle.  It's quieter than the MD-80 and
they report 12% lower fuel consumption.  It's considerably more
comfortable and quiet inside than the 146.

The flight time was about the same for the 146 as the bigger jets,
as the 146 only climbed to 10,000 ft. where the others go to 30,000.