Re: Dumb Douglas: nee - DC-8s in service; no 707s?

Date:         01 Mar 97 02:44:56
From:         "J. Heilig" <jheilig@gate.net>

RD Rick wrote:

> Among Monumental Dumb Decisions, that ranks high.  They could still be
> building DC-8s, with a modern cockpit and new autopilot.  UPS is so
> taken with the DC-8 they spent big bucks to do just that.  It is
> unprecedented for a new autopilot to be certified in an existing jet
> transport airframe, but UPS did it.
> rd

	I agree that it may have been dumb, but the DC-10 was fairly successful
itself.  In the age of the widebody airplane (late 60s and early 70s),
Douglas would have gone down the tubes for sure if they had steadfastly
clung to the narrowbody line.  The USAF bought a substantial number of
KC-10s, which they wouldn't have if the DC-8 had still been coming down
the line at Long Beach.  We might now have KC-747s in service with the
USAF....

	Hindsight is always 20/20.  Who could have guessed 25 years ago that
the DC-8 would be the freighter of choice in an overnight package market
that barely existed back then?

Jennings Heilig