Re: 747SP Flight Training

Date:         01 Mar 97 02:44:55
From:         maclure@cvsrf1.arc.nasa.gov (MacLure)

maclure@cvsrf1.arc.nasa.gov (MacLure) writes:

>I've been asked a question regarding the SP ( short fuselage
>long-range ) 747 variant.

>I don't believe any simulators were ever built for this type
>which leads to the question: "How was training done?"

>I suspect that the systems were similar enough to the -100
>model that some training could be done on -100 sims. The
>question of flight training would however be a different
>story.

Seek and ye shall find department.
It turns out one of my colleagues ( ex-Pan Am ) was able to answer
the question.
Link-Miles built 1 B747SP sim back about 1980. It was located here
at SFO airport. When Pan Am went south the sim went to Miami.
Where it is now, I haven't a clue.
Given the number of SPs that were built and the economics of the
training world at the time, one sim is about what you would have
expected.

IBM
-
############## No Times Like The Maritimes, Eh! #####################
IBM   aka      #    Ian_Maclure@QMGATE.arc.nasa.gov           (desk)
Ian B MacLure  #    maclure@(remulak/cvsrf1).arc.nasa.gov(currently)
Opinions expressed here are mine, mine, mine.(YOOHOO NSA[PU,PCP,PGP])