Re: MD-17 vs. MD-11F/DC-10F

Date:         21 Feb 97 01:10:43
From:         M.J.Jennings@amtp.cam.ac.uk (Michael Jennings)

H Andrew Chuang <Chuanga@cris.com> wrote:
>In article <330cecc6.7929634@news.concentric.net>,
>Jean-Francois Mezei  <"[nospam]jfmezei"@videotron.ca> wrote:
>>If UA wants to capture the Japan<->Asia market, why then doesn't UA
>>create a Japanese subsidiary who would then operate under Japanese rules
>>and agreements ?
>
>Because most countries do not allow their own airlines to be controlled
>by foreigners.

	And because trying to create an airline in Japan is somewhat
difficult, even if you are Japanese. (Until very recently, the word
was 'impossible', not 'very difficult'. That's right. There was a law
against the creation of any new airline). And because if foreigners control
an airline, it is unlikely to be recognised as 'Japanese' by many of the
other countries you try it to. Aviation worldwide is a mass as protectionism.
Get used to it.

	Michael.
--
Michael Jennings
Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics

	"`I need every aluminum can you can find! And duct tape!"