Re: Boeing cancels 747-500X/600X?

Date:         21 Feb 97 01:10:40
From:         M.J.Jennings@amtp.cam.ac.uk (Michael Jennings)

>The answer to congestion at airports like Narita is not bigger planes
>to shove more people through there, it's overflying Narita wherever
>possible.  United's ORD-HKG non-stop service is just a hint of what
>the future will bring just as soon as politics and longer range planes
>like the 777-200X allow it.

	The problem with Narita isn't that it is being overused as a hub
when there should be direct flights, it's that an airport with a single
runway is being used for virtually all international traffic out of one
of the world's largest cities, which happens to be the principal city
of the world's second largest economy. Narita is woefully inadequate
for serving Tokyo, even if you discount onward traffic. There is of
course a fair argument that the solution is to build more airport
capacity, not larger aircraft, and this is of course true. However,
in Japan this is politically very difficult. While it remains politically
difficult, there is a market for a larger aircraft. There are only a few
airports worldwide for which this sort of argument applies, so the market
for such an aircraft at present is only a niche market. However, it is a
real one.

	Michael.
--
Michael Jennings
Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics

	"`I need every aluminum can you can find! And duct tape!"