Re: DC-8s in service; no 707s?

Date:         19 Feb 97 02:46:25
From:         rparpatt@uniserve.com (Thundercraft)
Followups:    1 2 3

In article <airliners.1997.439@ohare.Chicago.COM>, richn@sdd.hp.com says...
>Somewhere, sometime, I was led to believe that the DC-8 has
>an APU, while the 707 does not.
>
>Without an APU, the 707 needs auxiliary ground equipment to
>get the first engine started, while the DC-8 could be started
>from its APU.

I believe that the DC-8 used bleed air from onboard storage
to start the first engine.  From there they used bleed air
from the running engine.  I believe that most large a/c can use
bleed air for starting (including those with apu's).  Smaller
a/c such as BAe146, Fokker 100, etc use electric starters.

>If true, the 707 can only go to airports with auxiliary ground
>equipment.
>
>I thought this was a serious negative factor for airlines, and
>one big reason airlines favored the DC-8.

Why did the 707 out-sell and out-last the DC-8???

Even though I am a dedicated Boeing fan, I will concede the point
that the best looking jetliner ever built was the streched 8.  It
is the only plane made in the last 40 years that one can
say had any sex appeal.  (The previous winner was the super connie).