Re: DC-8s in service; no 707s?

Date:         19 Feb 97 02:46:23
From:         Seth Dillon <s.dillon@ilinks.net>

Richard Nute wrote:

>Somewhere, sometime, I was led to believe that the DC-8 has
>an APU, while the 707 does not.

>Without an APU, the 707 needs auxiliary ground equipment to
>get the first engine started, while the DC-8 could be started
>from its APU.

>If true, the 707 can only go to airports with auxiliary ground
>equipment.

>I thought this was a serious negative factor for airlines, and
>one big reason airlines favored the DC-8.

No DC-8's as far as I know was delivered with APU's.  Some were fitted
with them during the conversion to CFM-56's.  The APU was actually two
727 type APU's installed in the aft end of the C-2 cargo compt.  They
were contained in a pair of titanium (I think) enclosures.  Exhaust was
routed through ducts and exited foreward and a little below the wing
leading edge.  The exhaust ducts had a door which opened inward on apu
start.  The actuators on these were somewhat unreliable at first and
would allow the door to close with the APU running, with predictable
results.  The mod was not very popular as most operators already had the
necessary GSE in place to support the aircraft.  Only one customer I
know of had the APU's installed

Also part of the mod was to replace the freon air conditioning system
with an aircycle machine type system.

				-Seth Dillon