Re: A330/340 vs. B777

Date:         19 Feb 97 02:46:20
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

"[nospam]jfmezei"@videotron.ca wrote:

> C. Marin Faure wrote:
> > These surveys have been conducted for years and years by the travel
> > industry, the airline industry, and the airframe manufacturing industry.
> > Every one of these surveys ends up with the same data: most passengers
> > don't know who built the plane they're on, they don't know how many
> > engines it has, they don't know what color it's painted, and THEY DON"T
> > CARE.
>
> Perhaps this is a local custom in the USA where the air transport
> industry is quite different from the rest of the world. (number of
> carriers, low fares, high frequency).
>
> But everyone I know knows the difference between a wide body and a
> "small" plane and for overseas flights, they always ask what kind of
> plane (eg: if they have a choice of a 747 with something else, they will
> prefer the 747.

The surveys I am referring to are conducted on a worldwide basis, not just
in the US.  Yes, people know the difference between twin-aisle and
single-aisle airplanes, but while your acquaintances may ask what kind of
plane they're on, they are in the minority.  Most people say on the survey
forms that they don't know and don't care.  The only two items almost all
passengers indicate on the survey forms as being important are fare and
schedule convenience.

As for people preferring 747s, the 747 is the one plane every identifies
with around the world because of its size, shape, and the fact that it was
the first "jumbo."  People who have never been on an airplane in their
lives know what a 747 is.  I've had people tell me they flew on a 747 when
in fact the airline they flew on didn't even operate 747s.  We have survey
forms taken from people who just got off DC-10s, L-1011s, and even 767s,
and in the space for writing down what airplane they just rode on, they
put "747."  Your friends may be knowledgable on the planes they fly, but
the thousands of survey forms filled out every year around the world show
that most passengers haven't got a clue as to the type of plane, the
manufacturer, or the number of engines on the plane they just got off of.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane