Re: Is the 747-100 really "too" old ?

Date:         19 Feb 97 02:46:18
From:         Reid Fairburn <cr_king@cr_king.seanet.com>

At 01:37 AM 2/13/97, you wrote:
>Recent news reports about TWA800 has shown one of the relatives speaking
>out on the 747-100 after a tour of the NTSB reconstruction site. He said
>that the plane was well past its planned lifetime and should have been
>retired years ago.
>
>What exactly does this mean ?
>Are planes designed to "expire" after so many cycles ? What happens to
>maintenance schedules and certification process once a plane acheives
>its expected lifetime ?

======Most planes live forever...just look at the old DC-3 which couldn't
even be certified under today's standards.  As long as careful attention is
put into the inspection and replacement of the airplane structure and
equipment, the airplane will continue to work per original design.  Some
structure is so basic and expensive to replace that fatigue of these parts
sets the lifetime value of the airplane.  However, the estimated fatigue
life has in the past proven to be very conservative relative to what is
actually experienced in operation.  So my answer to this query would be no,
the 747-100 will go for many more years and will probably be rebuilt as a
freighter before it ever evaporates from the active inventory of airliners.
It is a grand old bird!

People who are looking for money from deep pockets will say about anything!

Oh, by the way, the 747-100 that was flight 800 is now retired!

Reid Fairburn
Creative Kingdom, Inc.
cr_king@cr_king.seanet.com
206-946-9455/4815