Re: DC-8s in service; no 707s?

Date:         13 Feb 97 01:37:42
From:         Dave Lee <dlee@eskimo.com>

>> All kidding aside, it is my understanding that Douglas put more effort
>> into corrosion protection.  The DC-8 is also a newer design.
>
>	I'd beg to differ on that last statement.  Both types were designed
>within a couple of years of each other in the early 1950s, and the 707
>was in production (even the pax versions) longer than the DC-8.  The
>last DC-8 was delivered in 1972.  IIRC the last passenger 707 was
>delivered in 1975 or so.

The 707 was produced by Boeing in the "Dash 80" form well before Douglas
produced the DC-8.  The DC-7 had numerous backorders when the Dash 80
came out.  Douglas saw the writing on the wall, and even with the
backorders on the DC-7 giving them ample reason to sit on their laurels,
they commenced a task to develop a 4 engined plane which became the DC-8.
It was in response to Boeing.

When launched, the DC-8 was said to have a certain performance
characteristic and fuel consumption.  Upone delivery the airlines were
disappointed to find that the stated performance and fuel consumption was
incorrect, and that the range of the plane was much less than stated on
the spec sheet.

The 707 was redesigned quickly after the DC-8 was launched, being the
"wider" one of the pair allowing six abreast seating while the Dash 80
allowed only 5 abreast.  The 707 is 1 inch wider inside than the DC-8 thus
becoming the wider of the pair.

The DC-8 suffered in long-range performance compared to the 707 due to its
having a less swept back wing angle than the 707.

This information comes from my father who worked on the Dash 80 and 707
among other aircraft from 1950-1987.

Dave
Seattle, WA

--
"But seek first his kingdom and his rightousness, and all these things
will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for