Re: ATR-72's and Airbuses

Date:         03 Jan 97 04:36:35
From:         jac@panix.com (John Clear)

jfmezei  <nospam.jfmezei@videotron.ca> wrote:
>John Clear wrote:
>> I think some small grants/subsidies/etc to promote development
>> is very different then huge sums of money to fund entire product
>> development, start to finish.
>
>But when you look at the industry over a longer preiod of time, you
>*may* see many "acceptable" small grants that total up to a huge sum of
>money which would have been unacceptable to many had it been handed over
>in a single check.

As usual, you dont see the differances in scale.  A $3.5billion subsidy
for the A330/A340 development (mentioned in an earlier post in this
thread), plus whatever amounts they received earlier, is ALOT more then a
couple of $100mil grants.

>And even if ther were no directs benefits to commercial operation, any
>military/space contract will make the company bigger and may offer
>economies of scale and better negotiation with dealers. Hard to quantify
>such help, of course.

As usual, you conviently forget that all the Airbus partners have some
degree of military/space/other civilian contracts, so saying only US
companies have that benefit is just plain not true.

John
--
John Clear - jac@panix.com  PP-ASEL  1Lt, CAP-CAWG  http://www.panix.com/~jac
"They're all lawyers, and think that the laws of physics can be amended with