Re: Boeing cancels 747-500X/600X?(was Boeing cancels 767-500X/600X?)

Date:         13 Feb 97 01:37:39
From:         mba340@club-internet.fr (Ben)

Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang) wrote:
>Boeing's reasons for cancelling the project are logical.  However, I
>think Airbus's marketing people have done a great job in convincing some
>key customers from not committing to Boeing.  The superjumbo will have
>a smaller customer base than the B747.  (The customer base for the B747
>is already a small one.  Approximately 50% of the B747 in service are
>with the top ten or twelve B747 operators.)

but 25 airlines assume 70 % of the total traffic

>Even before launching the
>A3XX, Airbus basically has at least three customers in its basket, namely,
>Air France, Lufthansa, and Korean Air (Korea is likely to be the first
>Asian A3XX partner).

Do you really think that Airbus continues its project with those 3
potential customers. I do not htink tha AFR is the best customer in
its situation.
I think Airbus has some views on the some airlines than Boeing that is
to say the top ten of the airlines.

>I read about a British speculation in a news digest (I have not read
>the actual article).  It suggested that Boeing is working on a
>futuristic lifting-surface superjumbo previously proposed by
>McDonnell Douglas.  Of course, Boeing denied the report.

This futuristic project does not convince anyone because there are too
many barriers like gates airport