Re: Boeing cancels 767-500X/600X?

Date:         13 Feb 97 01:37:39
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

"[nospam]jfmezei"@videotron.ca wrote:

> C. Marin Faure wrote:
> > One thing you can count on, however, is that if a true market for these
> > planes emerges, Boeing will have a plane to meet it.
>

> Is it fair to assume that Airbus's A3XX at this point in time, is still
> much behind the 747-500x and 747-600x in terms of engineering work
> remaining ?
> Will Airbus be able to catch up if it continues at its current rate with
> the Boeing project during Boeing's hiatus ?
>
> Or put another way: Assuming both companies got what they wanted today
> (market for Boeing, financing for Airbus), which of the two would be
> first to market with revenus passengers, and how long before the other
> company acheives the same results ?

All I can say is that you would be amazed at how fast Boeing could create
a 747-500/600 if a true market emerged.  But if both projects went ahead
under your last scenario, it was already acknowledged that the 747
drivatives would beat the A3xx to market by several years.  Also, most
market and financial analysts seem to feel that the cost and time-to
produce-projections by Airbus for the A3XX are WAY underestimated.  But
then who says analysts are always right...

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane