Re: A330/340 vs. B777

Date:         13 Feb 97 01:37:38
From:         Jean-Francois Mezei <"[nospam]jfmezei"@videotron.ca>

C. Marin Faure wrote:
> These surveys have been conducted for years and years by the travel
> industry, the airline industry, and the airframe manufacturing industry.
> Every one of these surveys ends up with the same data: most passengers
> don't know who built the plane they're on, they don't know how many
> engines it has, they don't know what color it's painted, and THEY DON"T
> CARE.

Perhaps this is a local custom in the USA where the air transport
industry is quite different from the rest of the world. (number of
carriers, low fares, high frequency).

But everyone I know knows the difference between a wide body and a
"small" plane and for overseas flights, they always ask what kind of
plane (eg: if they have a choice of a 747 with something else, they will
prefer the 747.
Many want to avoid the smaller planes. Those who are not comfortable
flying will take steps to avoid the smaller planes.

While I can agree that passengers may not know the specifics of a plane
(builder, model, number and position of engines etc), I still find it
hard to beleive that those "industry surveys" apply to the worldwide
industry and apply equally to shuttle and overseas flights. Passengers
remember the inside layout of a plane and which company they flew with.
They may not know that seat pitch is defined by the airline and not the
builder, but they remember if a flight was cramped or not because those
are feelings/impressions one gets without requiring facts or rulers.

It is also interesting to note that a fair number of folks are affraid
of twin engine planes over the ocean. Obviously those do not fit in
those statistics since they care about the type of plane they are on.