Re: C-130s and other military aircraft

Date:         13 Feb 97 01:37:37
From:         nav130@aol.com (NAV130)

>I was curious if the C-130's and C-141's have any commercial utility.
>If someone gave them away, would they find productive use or would the
>operating costs be simply too high?

As others have said, yes, the C-130 is or has been flown by a number of
companies.  I believe Lockheed has built 2000+ C-130s and is still
building  them with the current model having a two-person (no flt
engineer, no navigator) "glass" cockpit. You could set up a whole
newsgroup on the C-130.  The C-141 went out of production in the late 60's
to make room for C-5 production.  It's become difficult to maintain for
want of parts and "tired iron" and it's doubtful that a private company
could turn a profit with it.

Mike Martin
ex-USAF Airlifter