Re: C-130s and other military aircraft

Date:         13 Feb 97 01:37:36
From:         TUKANO <immoeadj@cetus.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE>

Meg Appleton wrote:

> I was curious if the C-130's and C-141's have any commercial utility.
> If someone gave them away, would they find productive use or would the
> operating costs be simply too high?
There are a lot of C130 in civil use, for freight or mixed PAX/ Freight
Combination. Especially in Africa, this aircraft is popular and used in
relief missions, and civil versions are named L100(reffering to Southern
Air Transport)

Concerning the C141, this is a unique A/C only used by the USAF. There
is no civil application. The operation costs should be to high due to
the lack of maintenance and fuel costs, as well as for the required
noise regulations in some countries. there would also be a
certifivcation problem, because there is no civil-certified airplane.
(Maybe this would mean for the C130 that they have to copy with the
certification of the L100)

So long,
Tukano.

--