Re: MD-17 vs. MD-11F/DC-10F

Date:         13 Feb 97 01:37:35
From:         graemec@ibm.net

"David Smith" <drs@hplms2.hpl.hp.com> writes:
>When was the Bristol Freighter introduced?  I don't suppose it
>antedated the Me 323 Gigant of WWII which had clamshell nose
>doors and a cockpit above the cargo hold?  Or the Fairchild C-82
>Packet of the late 1940s?

No, it doesn't antedate the Me323 but it's about contemporary
with the C-82 - which actually didn't have nose doors.  It
was loaded from the rear, which was the reason for the twin
booms.

The earlier (than the C-82) Curtiss C-76 Caravan DID have a
nose door with flight deck over but I think it was later than
the 323.  Almost certainly the glider version of the Gigant
was earlier than the Caravan but I don't know any dates.  It
was used operationally in 1942 across the Mediterranean.

Graeme Cant