Re: MD-17 vs. MD-11F/DC-10F

Date:         13 Feb 97 01:37:34
From:         BMADDISO@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca (Brian Maddison)

"David Smith" <drs@hplms2.hpl.hp.com> writes:

>When was the Bristol Freighter introduced?  I don't suppose it antedated
>the >Me 323 Gigant of WWII which had clamshell nose doors and a cockpit
>above the cargo hold?  Or the Fairchild C-82 Packet of the late 1940s?

The Bristol 170 first flew in December 1945, the XC-82 in September 1944.

Not strictly to do with airliners, but C-82s were loaded from the rear
and did not have nose doors (correct me if I'm wrong). The location of
the flight deck was simply to give more cargo space in the fuselage pod.
When the C-119 was developed its cockpit returned to a more conventional
position.

Brian M

--
Brian Maddison
ITSD Support         E209      Phone:387-5485       FAX:387-6086