Re: Cabin pressure at altitude

Date:         03 Feb 97 03:18:34
From:         nw@ix.netcom.com (Neil Wagner)

Dale B Rothert <rothertd@1st.net> wrote:
>I am interested in what the average cabin pressure is in a B-747 or
>similar aircraft at crusing altitued. Presumed crusing is in the mid to
>upper 30's. It would be helpful in inches of mercury but a ratio of
>interior to exterior would serve the purpose.

At 35,000 or so, the normal cabin altitude on most current planes is a
little under 8000 feet, and (on Douglas aircraft at least) the
differential with outside is a little under 8.0 psi.  If I'm not
mistaken, the FARs mandate an ability to maintain a cabin altitude no
higher than 8000 feet at the aircraft's certified max operating
altitude.

Neil - nw@ix.netcom.com