Re: A330/340 vs. B777

Date:         03 Feb 97 03:16:35
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

nospam@wagner.spc.videotron.ca wrote:

> C. Marin Faure wrote:
> > Industry surveys taken on board or immediately after de-planing show that
> > the vast majority of passengers have no idea of what kind of plane they're
> > riding on, who made it, or how many engines it has.  Nor do they care
>
> I have a hard time beleiving these "industry surveys" apply to the
> industry in general. I can understand passengers not knowing/caring
> about plane type for shuttle-type flights (high frequency, short hop)
> where the planes are almost all narrowbody with 3-3 or 2-3 seating.
>
> Secondly, the type of aircraft is always mentioned during safety
> briefings and is shown in the safety card in front of each passenger.
> Perhaps little known brand names such as MD-nn don't stick to people's
> minds, but they would remember a 747, DC10 or DC9 for sure.

I'm sorry you have a hard time believing it, but the surveys are simply
compilations of questions answered by passengers, and that's what they
say.  Most of them haven't a clue who made the plane they're riding on
(they'll guess and sometimes get it right, but the odds are only 1 in
three).  Most passengers pay little attention to the safety speech, let
alone remember what the airplane type is.  But the interesting bottom line
is that most passengers when queried directly DON"T CARE what kind of
airplane they're on.  If they don't care, they're not likely to remember
the information even if it's presented in a safety briefing.

These surveys have been conducted for years and years by the travel
industry, the airline industry, and the airframe manufacturing industry.
Every one of these surveys ends up with the same data: most passengers
don't know who built the plane they're on, they don't know how many
engines it has, they don't know what color it's painted, and THEY DON"T
CARE.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane