Re: DC-8s in service; no 707s?

Date:         03 Feb 97 03:16:34
From:         rstevens@worldsite.net (Ryan Michael Stevens)

   roger@concord-world-travel.co.uk (Roger Chung-Wee) wrote:
>On 27 Jan 97 02:45:55 , drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D.
>Drinkard) wrote:
>
>>In article <airliners.1997.239@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
>>Merlin Dorfman <dorfman@netcom.com> wrote:
>>>     A couple of weeks ago in this newsgroup there was a thread about the
>>>number of (early) DC-10s in service as compared to few if any L-1011s.
>>>     A similar comment might be made about 707s and Dc-8s.  It has been
>>>a long time since I've seen a 707 (707-airframe TACAMOs and Joint STARS,
>>>yes, and a double-take at an A340 at DFW last year, but not an airline
>>>707).  But I frequently see DC-8s, in cargo service with new engines.
>>>     Is there a reason that the DC-8 airframes are still in service
>>>up to 30 years later while the 707s are not?

>From what I recall, most of the servicable 707s fleets were purchased by the
Air Force for parts to upgrade and support the KC-135.  The larger vertical
stabilizer and the JT3D engines (turbofan as compared to the KC-135's
turbojets) were the most sought after items, in addition to (possibly) the
landing gear.  This arrangement was beneficial to both parties, with the Air
Force receiving a large quantity of parts inexpensively and the airlines being
able to dispose of entire outdated and uneconomical fleets quickly.
  In talking to a friend of mine that works in the airline business, he
mentioned that selling a used aircraft or fleet, especially to a third (or
lower) level carrier, can sometimes be more trouble than it is worth.  The
purchasing airline quite likely needs spares, manuals, training, overhauls and
maintenance, etc.  In the case of the 707 fleets being sold to the Air Force,
they were relatively straightforward sales without the post sale support
requirements and demands.

Ryan