Re: MD-17 vs. MD-11F/DC-10F

Date:         03 Jan 97 04:36:35
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

>There was one group of routes where the article claimed the -400F does
>have a measureable advantage.  I don't recall where that was, but a
>good guess would be routes like SIN-LAX.  At 7,620 nm non-stop, a
>-200F needs two stops.  (It could do the job with one close to the
>midpoint, but there aren't any conveniently located airports and that
>would require a substantial payload penalty.)  In contrast, a high
>MGTOW -400F can in theory make the trip with only one stop without a
>dramatic payload penalty.  (I'm not sure what would be a reasonable
>place to stop, though.)

My understanding is all the current B747-400F operators went for the
extra payload instead of the extra range.  For example, Singapore
Airlines' B747-400F service between SIN-LAX (as well as to other US
cities) does make two stops (TPE/SEL and ANC).  IIRC, SQ has
fifth-freedom rights between TPE/SEL and the US only on selected
flights.