Re: DC-8s in service; no 707s?

Date:         31 Jan 97 14:29:24
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>I remember reading somewhere that the 757 has the same fuselage
>than a 707.

Above the cabin floor, the 727 and 737 have the same basic fuselage
design as the 707, and the fuselage in the cockpit area is likewise
the same.  Below the floor they have a different cross-secion and
there are other differences such as a thicker skin on the 737 to
handle a higher cycle life.

The 757 is similar but is at least an updated design due to newer
certification rules and materials.

>If so can't we say that 707 are still flying though with new
>electronics and engines?

And a new wing, new tail section, new cockpit area (based more on the
767 than the older Boeing narrowbody designs), new landing gear, new
flight controls ... there are many similarities in design philosophy
and thus a strong family resemblance from many points of view, but
that's about it.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com