Re: What did I see?

Date:         31 Jan 97 14:29:22
From:         Gregory.A.Addington.4@nd.edu (gregory addington)

   John Hall <john@kodak.com> wrote:
>As it got closer, it got wierder.  It had a fuselage extension
>that stuck out below and head of the the cockpit, containing
>what appeared to be a second cockpit.  There were tall fences or
>control surfaces projecting up and down from the wings, at about
>mid-span.

What you saw is an old Convair transport (the former AF designation
escapes me at the moment, but I think it was C-12x) that has been
transformed into a flying simulator. Yes, there is a cockpit in the
protrusion from the nose. The a/c has been modified with a fly-by-
wire system with programable gains so that it will "feel" like
something much bigger (or smaller) to the simulation pilot.

>I confess, I was so boggled seeing this, (and trying to drive on
>the Interstate at the same time) that I didn't see what it had
>for engines.  I believe the fin was relatively unswept and rounded,
>like on the old Convair turboprops.

You think that's weird... At least at one point (and I don't know
if this is still true), the front cockpit detached and could be
replaced with a radome. The interior was transformed into a classroom,
and the whole thing was used for nav training!

> Civil?  Military?

Air Force owned, Calspan operated (at least a couple of years ago).

__
Gregory Addington
Doctoral Candidate, Dept. of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
     University of Notre Dame
email: Gregory.A.Addington.4@nd.edu
www:   www.nd.edu/~gaddingt