Re: A330/340 vs. B777

Date:         31 Jan 97 14:29:22
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

In article <airliners.1997.245@ohare.Chicago.COM> C. Marin Faure (faurecm@halcyon.com) wrote:

> Industry surveys taken on board or immediately after de-planing show that
> the vast majority of passengers have no idea of what kind of plane they're
> riding on, who made it, or how many engines it has.  Nor do they care.

That's my impression, too.

> Primary concerns are ticket cost and schedule convenience.  Of the very
> few people who are aware of the type of plane they're on, most of them are
> in business or first class, which makes sense, as these travellers are
> generally a little more picky about their air travel experience.

I think this is only true for short-to-medium-haul flights.  If the
majority of people in cattle class only care about cost, then Taiwan's
EVA Air should have failed miserably.  Most people would not mind
paying a little extra for long-haul flights.  Unfortunately, on most
airlines, the fare differential between Economy and Business class
ticket is too big.  EVA Air's Evergreen Class (most people still use
the old name -- Economy Deluxe) offers eight-abreast seating on their
B747s.  The price difference for a consolidator ticket is about US$100
on their Trans-Pacific flights.  I believe they are doing quite well.
In fact, they are doing so well that their biggest competitor, China
Airlines, frequently has to offer two-for-one business-class ticket
promotions.  Since they started flying across he Pacific five years
ago, both United and Northwest have cut their services to Taiwan by
half.  Also, Delta totally dropped out of the market.  (Thus, I don't
think they did well because the market was under-served.)