Re: A330/340 vs. B777

Date:         30 Jan 97 00:36:27
From:         Jean-Francois Mezei <"nospam<-jfmezei"@videotron.ca>
Followups:    1 2 3

C. Marin Faure wrote:
> Industry surveys taken on board or immediately after de-planing show that
> the vast majority of passengers have no idea of what kind of plane they're
> riding on, who made it, or how many engines it has.  Nor do they care

I have a hard time beleiving these "industry surveys" apply to the
industry in general. I can understand passengers not knowing/caring
about plane type for shuttle-type flights (high frequency, short hop)
where the planes are almost all narrowbody with 3-3 or 2-3 seating.

Secondly, the type of aircraft is always mentioned during safety
briefings and is shown in the safety card in front of each passenger.
Perhaps little known brand names such as MD-nn don't stick to people's
minds, but they would remember a 747, DC10 or DC9 for sure.

I have a hard time beleiving that a passenger would not know the shape
of a 747 sitting at the gate. Or not notice the number of seats and
aisles inside.

Even if the passenger does not remember the exact type of aircraft he
was on, he will remember its inside layout. ("Oh, its that long narrow
tube of 3-3" or "or, it is that sardine can with 5 people stuck in the
middle").

While I agree that few passengers know in advance which plane they will
use, and many may not remember the name of the airplane type they used,
I suspect many remember their experience inside with regards to comfort.

If travel agents had better itinerary printouts, passengers would be
better informed. Many seem to only print "Widebody jet service"