Re: A330/340 vs. B777

Date:         30 Jan 97 00:36:26
From:         tschell@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Terry Schell)

matt@firstsol.com (matt weber) writes:
<snip>
>Here we are aruing about comfort in the enconomy cabin. Most if not all
>of the passengers down the back are there on the basis of price. All other
>things being equal, they will pick comfort, but in general, they are not
>willing to pay an extra cent for it. You can treat them incredibly badly,
>but if you have the lowest fare,they will come back for more almost always.
>I've never understood it, but I've seen it so often it isn't funny.

You don't understand it?  Tell people that they are going to have to
sit in a chair for 3 hours... they can have a smallish chair or they
can pay an extra $150 and have a larger chair.  Very few people are
willing to spend that type of money for a marginal increase in comfort
lasting only a few hours.  Would you pay an extra $100 added to your
movie price to spend those two hours in roomier seats? or in a theater
with fewer seats per row? The reason they call it "business class" is
because the bulk of people in it are not paying for their own ticket.
The reason they call it "first class" is because it has more to do
with your image and feeling pampered than a rational decision about
confort per dollar.

... at least that is my opinion.
Terry Schell