Re: DC-8s in service; no 707s?

Date:         30 Jan 97 00:36:25
From:         l.a.ram@ix.netcom.com (Louis A. Ramsay)

In <airliners.1997.287@ohare.Chicago.COM> "Richard Isakson"
<rwi@whidbey.com> writes:

>>      Is there a reason that the DC-8 airframes are still in service
>> up to 30 years later while the 707s are not?

- - - - - snip - - - - -

>It's a question of engine noise.  The DC-8s that you see are the
>re-engined/stretched versions.  I think it was the -60 series.  Boeing
>made the strategic decision not to re-engine/stretch the 707 (though
>they looked very hard at it).  They did re-engine the military
>versions but choose not to certify the changes.

     I think another consideration in re-engining the B-707 was the
height of the existing engine off the ground.  You can't add much more
engine diameter to a 707 before the lower part of the cowling will be
rubbing on the ground and, face it, the new engines are quite a bit
bigger in diameter.  There a few of the re-engined KC-135's at Bangor
and those cowlings don't have much ground clearance.  I just wonder,
with the engines that close to the ground, if there is much of an
increase in the amount of FOD?

     Lou.