Re: Boeing 767-400

Date:         03 Jan 97 04:36:34
From:         M.J.Jennings@amtp.cam.ac.uk (Michael Jennings)

Helen Trillian Rose <hrose@rocza.kei.com> wrote:
>KLS> == Karl Swartz <kls@ohare.Chicago.COM>
>
> >> If Boeing is to produce a new version of the 767, would it retain the
> >> conventional 767 controls or migrate to the 777 style of controls ?
>
> KLS> I'd be very surprised if it did not retain the controls of the
> KLS> 767-300 more or less intact.
>
>Never mind that, but I imagine that cockpit commonality with DL's existing
>757/767-200/767-300 fleet is a BIG selling point.
>
>Seat-wise, the 767-400 would be a perfect fit for DL. The Tristar
>replacement they've always wanted.....

	It also seems to me that the A330-200 (which the 767-400ERX appears
to be a response to) is more a competitor to the 767-300ER than to the 777.
That is, it is aimed at medium to long haul routes for which airlines either
want better than daily frequency (ie many transatlantic routes) or for
which demand isn't big enough for a 777/A330-300/747/etc. A lot of potential
customers are presently flying 767-300s on these routes and could perhaps
do with something a little bigger as demand grows. If so, cockpit commonality
with the 767-300 would surely be some sort of an advantage. (I'm an Australian,
and one of my immediate thoughts is that Qantas would find a few of these
to be really useful).

	Michael.
--
Michael Jennings
Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics