Re: Boeing cancels 747-500X/600X was Re: Boeing cancels 767-500X/600X?

Date:         30 Jan 97 00:36:24
From:         koala@earthlink.net (Randy Treadway)

Ian Judge <ian@judgei.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>According to a UK newspaper the new Boeing jumbo may be a flying wing
>design which will hold 800 in a double deck layout. It is a McD design
>which is at the flying model stage funded to $3billion by the
>government. NASA/whoever are hoping to get more money to develop it
>further!

I have seen this design.  However, there are concerns about
the cost of airlines having to pay for revamping their
airport parking spaces, jetways, etc.
Passengers would have to disembark directly from doors
in the wing itself.
One attractive thing, though is possibility of windows
directly in *front* of the seated passengers blended in
the leading edge of the wing.
It's a huge thing- would be as revolutionary as the
jumbo jets were in the late '60s-early 70's which forced
airports to redesign their landing gates.
This design won't really go far on NASA funds, -
it needs some Boeing cash for any serious movement
beyond the wind tunnel / computer modeling stages.
I don't think the $3 billion quote is correct- it's
a LOT less than that right now.

Randy Treadway
McDonnell Douglas, Long Beach