Re: crosswind landings

Date:         26 Dec 97 03:29:02
From:         jac@panix.com (John Clear)

David Lesher <wb8foz@netcom.com> wrote:
>Note the C5 (and maybe the B52) solve this by letting you crank the
>gear to match the slew... or so the pilot giving me a tour told
>me.

The Discovery Channel Wings program on the B-52 shows it landing in a
crab.  IIRC, the B-52 and C-5A can land in up to a 15 degree crab.  The
C-5B doesn't have the crab capability.  It was cut from the design to
save weight or money, depending on who the source.

> He also pointed proudly up the empennage and said "See that --
>there's more space WASTED up there than is in a 141 total.." but
>I've never confirmed that....

I'd always heard that the wasted space in the tail of the C-5 was
the capacity of a C-130, which is more believable then a C-141.

John
--
John Clear - jac@panix.com  PP-ASEL  1Lt, CAP-CAWG  http://www.panix.com/~jac

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines." - Unknown