Re: crosswind landings

Date:         26 Dec 97 03:29:01
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1997.3013@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "Dave Pullan"
<thomas@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

> C. Marin Faure <faurecm@halcyon.com> wrote in article
> >  but the autoland systems in the current family of Boeing jetliners
> > are set up to fly most of the approach in a crab and then transition to
> > the wing-down method for the last part of the final approach, flare, and
> > touchdown.
>
> I had always thought autoland systems had no transition from crab to wing
> down/uncoordinated flight for landing, and hence the crosswind limits often
> applied to these landings, ie about 10 kts max.  (Rarely though does one
> have any wind at all when the weather requires use of autoland)

Like you, I assumed the autoland system couldn't change from a crab to a
wing-down, and I believe the earlier ones couldn't.  But I've asked
several pilots who fly 777s and 747-400s, including some Boeing test
pilots, and they have all told me that the current-generation autoland
systems make the transition I described earlier.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane