Re: Old 707's

Date:         26 Dec 97 03:28:46
From:         l.a.ram@ix.netcom.com (Louis A. Ramsay)

In <airliners.1997.2995@ohare.Chicago.COM> David Richter <david@chezddd.com> writes:
>My father used to talk about "water wagons" -- early 707s which used
>water injection for additional takeoff thrust.  Despite keeping my
>ears open for any tibits about these beasts, I've heard nothing about
>them.
>
>Were they real?  Can anyone provide details about them?

     The 707-133 was a"water-wagon".  We operated at least one of them
years ago and one of the drawbacks was they required de-mineralized
water (which was not universally available).  On one of our planes, we
carried a "demineralization" setup in one of the bellies.  With this
unit, and enough garden-variety hose, we could park just abut anywhere
on an airport and run their tap water through the system to use it for
the water-injected takeoff.

     Lou.