Re: crosswind landings

Date:         21 Dec 97 17:01:29
From:         robinjohnson@southcom.com.au (Robin Johnson)

nak@lucent.com (Neil Kirby) wrote:
>In article <airliners.1997.2969@ohare.chicago.com>, Exiled Expat  <lutsch@emirates.net.ae> wrote:
>>Large aircraft are designed to withstand a certain amount of landing gear
>>side loads during the landing phase of operation.  However, it still
>>remains the duty of the pilot to record in the defect log if he feels that
>>the landing was significantly hard or sideloaded so that the aircraft
>>engineer or A + P airman can perform the apropriate inspection listed in
>>the aircraft maintenance manual for this occurrence.  I believe that a good
>>pilot will straighten the aircraft to the runway centerline just prior to
>>touchdown even on large aircraft.  I have even seen the occasion pilot set
>>it down on one main gear first.
>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>I was on a 727 coming to or from Newark (EWR) and Columbus (CMH) when we
>landed in a rainy crosswind.  I noticed from my window that we were flying
>somewhat sideways relative to ground.  Notably, I could see the runway
>lights ahead from my regular window seat - we had that much angle into the
>wind.  Technically, my window was vulnerable to bird strikes, I think.

(snip about landing)

I don't think your window was in much danger of birdstrike.  After
all, the reason the plane was flying crabwise over the ground was that
it was flying *straight ahead* in the air. It's just that the air was
moving sideways over the ground.  Your birds would still hit the
forward (relative to the moverment through the air) facing parts of
the aircraft.