Re: Old 707's

Date:         21 Dec 97 17:01:28
From:         hackettNO*SPAM@southwind.net (Kim Hackett)
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5

In article <airliners.1997.2995@ohare.Chicago.COM>, David Richter <david@chezddd.com> says:
>John Wright wrote:
>> The 707 entered service in October 1958... if you flew in a 707 about
>> then it could only have been a 707-100 series (actually a 131 for TWA)
>> with P&W JT3C-6 engines giving 12,500 lbs static thrust. These were
>> straight turbojets essentially similar to the military J57 - as used on
>> B-52's upto the B-52G. The first B series 707 went into service in 1960,
>> these were (among other improvements) fitted with JT3D-1 engines giving
>> 17,000 lbs thrust.
>
>My father used to talk about "water wagons" -- early 707s which used
>water injection for additional takeoff thrust.  Despite keeping my ears
>open for any tibits about these beasts, I've heard nothing about them.
>
>Were they real?  Can anyone provide details about them?

The early 707s, the KC-135A with J57 engines, and the B-52G use water
injection for additional takeoff thrust.  The B-52G has a water tank in
the fuselage forward of the wing.  The water injection lasts about 45
seconds.  Not all takeoffs use water injection.  On takeoffs with water
injection, all of the water must be used, otherwise it would freeze at
altitude.  I think the water capacity on the B-52G is about 3000 lb, if
I remember correctly.