Re: Air Safety (was Re: A3xx vs B747-600)

Date:         03 Jan 97 04:36:34
From:         falke@pweh.com ( 0 Falke_Charlie phone dist )

> It's not clear to me that Tournoux and Hulse were engineers or
> pilots.  Neither they nor the two Alitalia pilots had any business
> aboard a test flight -- they were merely observers, or passengers.
> Simply holding a pilot's license does not, IMO, make one part of
> the flight crew.

  This is quite true, but my point was not that they were crew, or
necessary to the conduct of the test flight.  I agree that they
weren't part of the crew or necessary to perform the test flight.
My point was that they were in a position to know that engineering
test flying has a higher risk than revenue passenger flying.

--
Charlie Falke                 Pratt & Whitney
System Test Team Leader       C/O Boeing Comm AP grp.