Re: Old 707's

Date:         21 Dec 97 02:32:46
From:         David Richter <david@chezddd.com>
Followups:    1 2 3

John Wright wrote:
> The 707 entered service in October 1958... if you flew in a 707 about
> then it could only have been a 707-100 series (actually a 131 for TWA)
> with P&W JT3C-6 engines giving 12,500 lbs static thrust. These were
> straight turbojets essentially similar to the military J57 - as used on
> B-52's upto the B-52G. The first B series 707 went into service in 1960,
> these were (among other improvements) fitted with JT3D-1 engines giving
> 17,000 lbs thrust.

My father used to talk about "water wagons" -- early 707s which used
water injection for additional takeoff thrust.  Despite keeping my ears
open for any tibits about these beasts, I've heard nothing about them.

Were they real?  Can anyone provide details about them?

-der

(remove one 'd' from the domain name to reply by email)