Re: crosswind landings

Date:         21 Dec 97 02:32:37
From:         peter neville gurnell <pgurnell@direct.ca>

Carl Peters wrote:
> To our pilots or others in the know - when watching crosswind landings
> by airliners, the great majority land while still crabbing. This must
> put considerable lateral loads on thr gear in addition to the scrubbing
> of the tires. Is this the taught method in training? In the light
> aircraft I fly, we usually try to cross control the aircraft, keeping
> the crosswind wing down while holding opposite rudder, thus maintaining
> the runway heading during touchdown.

And now, direct from the Boeing 737-200 Flight Crew Training Manual
p.2-69

CROSSWIND LANDINGS

There are three accepthed methods used in performing an approach to a
landing in a crosswind.  They are the crab, sidelsip and a combination
of the two.Use the same crosswind technique as with previously flown
airplanes.

In crosswind conditions, the crosswind crab angle should be maintained
to touchdow on very slippery runways.  Allowing the airpland to touch
down without removing the crab angle will reduce drift toward the
downwind side of the runway on wet or icy runways.  Auto spoilers and
autobrakes will operate sooner when all main gear touch down
simultaneously, thus establishing main gear crab effect sooner and
reducing pilot workload.

Now I personally did not believe that this was accepted technique until
my very first circuit when the training captain took control as I was
kicking in some rudder to align the aircraft's longitudinal axis with
the runway.  He actually took it around and admonished me for
straightening the aircraft out.  I would only leave the crab on on an
extreme crosswind with JBI < 0.5.

Peter