Re: crosswind landings

Date:         21 Dec 97 02:32:36
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1997.2968@ohare.Chicago.COM>, john@pegase.demon.co.uk (John Wright) wrote:
> On 10 Dec 97 04:05:01 , in <airliners.1997.2917@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Carl Peters wrote:
> >To our pilots or others in the know - when watching crosswind landings
> >by airliners, the great majority land while still crabbing. This must
> >put considerable lateral loads on thr gear in addition to the scrubbing
> >of the tires. Is this the taught method in training? In the light
> >aircraft I fly, we usually try to cross control the aircraft, keeping
> >the crosswind wing down while holding opposite rudder, thus maintaining
> >the runway heading during touchdown.
>
> There are two ways to do a crosswind landing. The wing down technique is
> one the other is the "crab" where you kick the aircraft straight with
> the rudder immediately before touchdown. This is how you do it in
> gliders where there is a real risk of touching the ground with the
> wingtip on a wing down approach. Since airliners have relatively long
> wings which mostly sit relatively close to the ground I suspect (though
> IANAATPL) that the crab approach is preferred for this reason.

I don't know if my earlier reply to this question made it to the group or
not, but the autoland systems in the current family of Boeing jetliners
are set up to fly most of the approach in a crab and then transition to
the wing-down method for the last part of the final approach, flare, and
touchdown.  That is also the method used by every airline pilot I've ever
flown with when they hand-fly the approach, which is almost all the time.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane