Re: Concorde Engines

Date:         17 Dec 97 11:10:47
From:         domk1031@sp.zrz.tu-berlin.de (Burkhard Domke)

On 10 Dec 97 04:05:04 , The Aronskys <4penpals@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>Hello. Being a commercial aircraft enthusiast (If you say you've seen
>all commercial aircraft enthusiasts, you haven't seen me) and the
>Concorde being my 2nd favorite airliner (My 1st being the 747), these
>two questions arose in my mind:
>
>1). What is the maximum speed of a Concorde?

max operating speed (Vmo) is 530 KIAS/Mach 2.02, whichever is the
lower. Original spec was Mach 2.2, but was reduced to extend
structural life. According to that, there's also a temperature limit
and a related Tmo of 127°C TAT.

>2). Because of the speed of the Concorde, the engines must be pretty
>powerful. What kind of engines are these and are these some kind of
>special engines?

Rolls-Royce/SNECMA Olympus 593 Mk.610, axial flow to-spool turbojet
rated 169.3 kN at take-off with reheat, and around 44.6 kN (w/o
reheat) at cruise conditions (Ma 2.0/53.000 feet, ISA +5°C)

Burkhard Domke