Re: crosswind landings

Date:         17 Dec 97 11:10:44
From:         nak@lucent.com (Neil Kirby)

Exiled Expat  <lutsch@emirates.net.ae> wrote:

>Large aircraft are designed to withstand a certain amount of landing gear
>side loads during the landing phase of operation.  However, it still
>remains the duty of the pilot to record in the defect log if he feels that
>the landing was significantly hard or sideloaded so that the aircraft
>engineer or A + P airman can perform the apropriate inspection listed in
>the aircraft maintenance manual for this occurrence.  I believe that a good
>pilot will straighten the aircraft to the runway centerline just prior to
>touchdown even on large aircraft.  I have even seen the occasion pilot set
>it down on one main gear first.
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was on a 727 coming to or from Newark (EWR) and Columbus (CMH) when we
landed in a rainy crosswind.  I noticed from my window that we were flying
somewhat sideways relative to ground.  Notably, I could see the runway
lights ahead from my regular window seat - we had that much angle into the
wind.  Technically, my window was vulnerable to bird strikes, I think.

Touch down was not "graceful" but rather "forceful."

The pilot *planted* the windward main gear onto the runway HARD.
He brought the nose straight to the runway and slammed the downwind main
gear onto the run way every bit as hard as he had the windward.
Then we all pulled a hint of negative G (if you were close to the front)
as he planted the nose gear.

BANG - roll and yaw - BANG - pitch down - bang.

It wasn't pretty, but it did the job of converting a flying 727 into a
rolling truck firmly planted on the tarmac at Newark.
---
Neil Kirby	DoD #0783	nak at lucent.com
Lucent Technologies - Home of Bell Labs Innovations
Bell Labs  Columbus OH     USA +1 (614) 860-5304
Hope is not a strategy.  Tuning is not a plan.  Prayer is not a process.