Re: crosswind landings

Date:         17 Dec 97 03:43:08
From:         john@pegase.demon.co.uk (John Wright)

On 10 Dec 97 04:05:01 , in <airliners.1997.2917@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Carl Peters wrote:
>To our pilots or others in the know - when watching crosswind landings
>by airliners, the great majority land while still crabbing. This must
>put considerable lateral loads on thr gear in addition to the scrubbing
>of the tires. Is this the taught method in training? In the light
>aircraft I fly, we usually try to cross control the aircraft, keeping
>the crosswind wing down while holding opposite rudder, thus maintaining
>the runway heading during touchdown.

There are two ways to do a crosswind landing. The wing down technique is
one the other is the "crab" where you kick the aircraft straight with
the rudder immediately before touchdown. This is how you do it in
gliders where there is a real risk of touching the ground with the
wingtip on a wing down approach. Since airliners have relatively long
wings which mostly sit relatively close to the ground I suspect (though
IANAATPL) that the crab approach is preferred for this reason.

--
John Wright